Monday, October 22, 2018

Stylish Economy: 1991-2001 Lexus ES300

One of my good friends actually bought this car at the same time I got my first LS400 and although the LS400 is the flagship car, I can't help but admire a clean ES300.

Honestly, that looks hotter than some LS400s...

Before we start, let me dispell a myth. You might be thinking, "But Ro, aren't parts for this car super expensive? It's a Lexus."

No.

The LS400 shares maybe three parts with other cars and yet parts are about the same as Ford Focus parts. This is the ES300 we're talking about, a car that was made in much higher numbers. On top of that, it's a Camry.

Yes, it is an upgraded Toyota Camry but don't write it off. I think the 90s Camry is a pretty good car by itself. Add the Lexus treatment and you got a very nice Camry. For the same money. And it looks better. Much. Have you ever seen the interior of a Camry? It doesn't look like this...


The ES300 has a much better suspension than the Camry which separates it already. I've talked to a couple people who have driven both cars and they all say that even though the ES300 is based on the Toyota Camry, it drives nothing like it. The car is just smooth all around and I hear the difference is night and day. Remember, the Camry isn't bad - this car is very good.

Now, the specs for this car are throwing me off a little bit. The 1999 model comes with 210 hp. The older ones have a bit less. The evolution of this car went almost hand-in-hand with the LS400.

The car I am discussing in this article actually had two generations. The LS400 also has two generations, period, and the timing matched the ES300. In 1991, the first gen ES300 was released while the first gen of the LS400 was out in 1990 and lasted until 1994. The second generation of the ES300 came out in 1996; the LS400, 1995.

It looks like the cars were co-evolving. Lexus was a new company and although they are owned by Toyota, Lexus was developing its own technology. VVTi was introduced in the LS400 in 98 and around that same time in the ES300. It bumped the horsepower up a bit.

There is one thing I find weird. The V6 engine in the ES300 gets worse mileage than the V8 1uzfe. The V8 gets 19-27 in an LS400 while the ES300 gets 19-26...


So why should you buy this over a different economy car and why not?

The only negative to this car is trying to find a mechanic that won't rip you off. They see that badge and automatically bump the price up. It has happened to me pretty much every time I actually went to a shop.


Besides that, I can't think of any negatives. Like I said, it's built like a Camry so it's tough but what you get is a Lexus. It has a good sound system, the interior is comfortable, and the engine has plenty of power for daily driving.

Did I mention it looks pretty damn good lowered? I feel like more people should be modding these but I suppose those people go for the LS400.

I always look at real prices before I write an article like this and there are cars with about 130,000 miles selling for $1,500. I don't have to tell you that's a steal. Even if you do NOTHING to it and drive it until it dies, it will probably be good for like two years.

I think it's because they're less known but the prices are the same or lower than Camrys. The difference is that Camrys are almost all beat to death while these Lexuses were purchased by old people a lot of times so they tend to be in much better condition.

This was on Craigslist.

The interior is a smaller version of the LS400 or a much more luxurious Camry. The picture above is from a Craigslist ad. That's the same 130,000 mile, $1,500 ES300 I mentioned. It's hard to beat that.

My friend is very happy with her car. She got a good deal for a low mileage example that was super clean. This thing still had that plastic cover stuff that is on some parts of the car from the factory. It had the stuff under the floormatts. The guy never touched it and my friend got a steal.

Overall, the car is a quick semi-luxurious economy car. It has very good looks, in my opinion. It's not boring like the Camry (but I admit that's a good car aswell). Being so similar to a Camry, it's reliable. This is Lexus's 3-series BMW. No matter if you just need a daily driver or want to modify the car to a VIP style, it's a very good bargain.

Parts? Ask U-Pull-n-Pay. They only have about 10 at a time and 1 LS400 if you're lucky.


If you want something more stylish and luxurious but as reliable and useful as the Camry or even something like a Honda Accord, give this car a look. It's in the same class and beats the Accord's butt.

Anyway, I'm a bit biased. How can I not be? But at least I will tell you this. I don't get paid for every Lexus sold, trust me. The car is just a good car and a very good deal right now. Like I mentioned, a mere $1,500 will get you a well maintained example at 150,000 or less miles. I'm here to tell you what cars to look for if you have a budget and completely objectively, the 1991 to 2001 Lexus ES300 is a good car. And a good time. My phone suggested that. I agree.

This is a reader's ES300 - very nice. @step_daddy_jeff_official_ 

Have a great day everybody and don't lose sight of your car goals. Fix that thing, keep saving, do what you gotta do! You will be rewarded.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Call it Blackhorse - My New Project Car

When I first got this Focus, if you have read the other articles, I hated it. The headlights looked weird and it was making tons of noises. ...