Saturday, August 18, 2018

Project Update: Lexy 2

I think I have moved forward quite a bit with this car in the few months I've had it. I just fixed an oil leak and I could actually re-sell this car and make a thousand dollars. I got real blessed with this one. I'm also really blessed because a fan of this website, @heresjohnnyls400 on Instagram, is sending me a full LED light kit for my interior! How cool is that?


Now the car will really feel like a spaceship. Right now the main light above your head doesn't even work! Speaking of things that don't work, my brake lights don't light up at all because I assume the Brake Light Switch is bad.

I have a new one which I hope to be able to install tomorrow. The problem is that it's somewhere close to the brake pedal rod where it meets the firewall. It's a simple piece - a bolt with a nut and a plunger on the other side along with an electrical connector. Depending on which way it installs (I haven't been able to see it yet), the brake lights go on when the plunger is either pressed down or released by the brake pedal being depressed.

I'm depressed because the position to work in is insanely awkward - like a high level yoga move. I'm hoping it won't be as hard as it looks. As long as the nut comes off easily, I should be fine. I'm going to take off the plastic bottom cover which should allow me to see it and I will probably post a tutorial because I can't even find a picture of the part on the car. Even the diagrams I found are not so great but eh.


Today I fixed a very bad oil leak. I was putting a quart of oil in the car every two days. I was a little worried because the previous owner told me, and provided proof, that she had just got an oil leak fixed. I believe it was the valve cover gasket. Well it looked like it was leaking again so I tightened the bolts down a little (do not overtighten!). Over time these bolts get loose because the gasket shrinks and sometimes you can stop a leak that way.

It didn't work. So I decided to do a little inspection and I found the real oil leak. It was a very old oil filter that was leaking. This thing must have been on the car for 30,000 miles.


Anyways, I fixed it up, cleaned it up, and the car is running extremely well. The misfire, at this point, only shows up if I turn the AC on and I'm at a red light. At that point, I will get random misfires and the car will move a little.

Also, the same problem with the car not getting enough fuel between 40-60 mph is directly related. I know I just need a new fuel pump, that's all. The car misfires less if there's a good amount of gas in the tank and so on.


I made the white on my taillights yellow with yellow tint. I think it looks great. I'm gonna have to buy more because I didn't realize what I was ordering wasn't enough for one headlight. There's a reason for everything.


Oh yeah, and I installed 15mm spacers on the back tires! I suppose it's hard to tell but now the back tires line up with the fender, unlike before which looked horrible. Surprisingly, the spacers also seem to make my car able to turn better. It makes sense considering the back tires are now farther apart than the front. I recommend that anybody that is considering this to do it.

Everything is well with the car. In my personal life, my health hasn't been the best so the articles haven't been coming out as often. But as always I will spring back up. Thanks for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Call it Blackhorse - My New Project Car

When I first got this Focus, if you have read the other articles, I hated it. The headlights looked weird and it was making tons of noises. ...