Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Luxury On a Budget: The 5-series BMW

I've always thought older BMWs are just beautiful and they do live up to the "Ultimate Driving Experience" thing - kinda. I'm sure I could find a better driving experience but then it would just be my opinion. They're all good cara. And for $3,000 or less, it's hard to beat a 5-series (525, 525i, 530, etc) if you want a luxury sedan.

While a 3-series BMW is more of a sporty, smaller ''get-around-town" car, this one is a big luxury sedan.


It's hard to find a problem with the way these cars look. They're big sedans that just look mean. In my opinion, the looks of BMWs went downhill after this car above, sadly. They got too round... Too bland, boring even. A good amount of people seem to share my sentiment. I'm not saying new BMWs are ugly but they're surely a lot more bland.

Let's get to the good stuff. It was about time for me to find another nice car that you guys can get on a budget when the 5-series popped in my head. I didn't think I would be able to find a nice one for under three grand but not only did I find a few but I found an '05 for $2,800 with a minor problem. The ad says it overheats. It's probably just the radiator. If I was in the market, I would look for sure.

So what do you get for this type of money? A nice package to say the least.


The interior is just beautiful and the car drives smooth and has some decent power. It actually has an inline-6 engine - not a V8 like I thought they had. I owned an E30 and I know that BMW makes great inline-6 engines. The exhaust sound is amazing too.

A 2000 5-series does 0-62mph in 8.1 seconds which is almost exactly like the LS400 that I love. Only difference is that THIS engine makes 189 horsepower and 180 ft. lbs. of torque. I was expecting 250 at least! It's a big feat they accomplished - getting a car 0-62 in about the same time as one with 80 more horsepower (the LS400). Just proves my point how BMW makes great inline engines.

It has a 5-speed transmission and is rear-wheel-drive. This is one of the last generations of BMWs that are easy to work on yourself. Unfortunately, car manufacturers now make cars that require special tools so you can't work on them period. BMW decided to get in on this earlier than most for some reason. Eventually all new cars will be serviced at the dealer and dealer alone. That's sad to me and just one more reason I don't like most cars made after 2000 or so.


Back to the beemer. If you want one on a budget, look for a '90s 5-series. I saw one as low as $1,500 with no problems and a clean title. Another for $2,000 or so that just had the belt changed. Like I always say, don't rush - wait until you find that car that will last you. You don't want a clunker, trust me!

I have an article that will give you some tips on what to look for when buying a car but basically you should get under the hood and look for any potential problems. Sometimes it's obvious that somebody with limited knowledge tried to fix something and in cases like that, run far away. I had a car like that that would NOT stop giving me problems because of the previous owner messing with it. When you turn the car on, pay attention to the sound and idle. The idle should be smooth and the car shouldn't shake. The idle goes down a little as the engine warms up so don't worry about that. Throttle response has to be smooth and even.

Check the suspension and brakes. Make sure everything looks right. When you test drive it, pay attention to how the engine sounds (again) and how the suspension feels. Try to feel how the transmission is shifting. It should smoothly shift without much, if any, hesitation. If it throws you back in your seat a little bit when it shifts as you accelerate then either overdrive is on (in automatic cars) or there might be a problem with the transmission.

If there is a check engine light, ask what it is. If it seems like the person is lying and you can check the code, do it. Anything you find will allow you to haggle the price down. Decide what you are willing to buy as far as problems go and if there is too many red flags, be patient and wait for another car. It will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Call it Blackhorse - My New Project Car

When I first got this Focus, if you have read the other articles, I hated it. The headlights looked weird and it was making tons of noises. ...