Friday, November 2, 2018

Making Friends Through the Car Community

I had a pretty awesome couple hours hanging out with a fellow enthusiast today who had happened to find me on Instagram (or the other way around) and didn't live too far. If you are really into your car, meeting someone like-minded is like gold because you don't meet people like that very often.


There's already not only a small bond over the car but there's endless things to talk about. Hanging out with my new friend today was one of the best times I've had actually meeting a person.

When it comes to this hobby and this car - and maybe you will notice I've said this before - the people are not only kind and giving but are ready to help you if you need it just as I would help Rob if he needed a part, for example.

StereoRob's extremely clean 1995

It has something to do with the character of the car. It attracts people like us. And being a little bit of a fringe car (you can't say it isn't - they're not very popular anymore), when we meet someone that loves this topic that is the Lexus LS400, at that point it's human nature to corroborate. Plus we just love the cars and if anyone is like me, I don't mind wrenching for a little bit for free or dirt cheap to help someone.

Birds of a feather flock together. I eventually want to get a club started in the Central Florida area but I'm not even thinking about it at the moment. The best we can do is find an active three or four people which would be enough to have some fun.


We traded a bunch of Lexus-nerd information, drove eachother's cars, talked for a couple hours, did a photoshoot, and called it a day. He had to attend to his wife, as did I. He graciously brought offerings of a transmission diagram for my car.


If you're working on a car, I don't care what it is unless it's just a normal car - if you find yourself bored often or even depressed, this helps. Trust me. I forced myself to just go even if I had to take a half of an anxiety pill extra. Take it from a patient of severe anxiety, it helps to be with like-minded people.

Thanks for reading and Rob, thanks for coming out to my current area. If anyone is in Orlando and wants to get together, leave a comment or reach me on my Instagram which is @rokask1 . I will facilitate starting a club if there is enough interest and like I say - 3 to 4 active members is a good base. Let's get together, people. We can help each other and some of us can get our wives to stop nagging about finding friends to talk to about your stupid car instead of talking to her about it. She doesn't care!


I was happy to hear from Rob that my 1996 LS400 at around 215k miles runs as good as his 2000 LS400 with 130k miles. I was astounded to hear that. His 2000 doesn't run bad so to hear that is amazing.

One thing I learned is that you don't need the power steering system. Rob taught me this because his barely works. I had heard somewhere that the pump is needed so the rack and pinion stays lubricated and doesn't break under intense force but apparently it's strong enough to take that force because he has been driving it either with no power steering or very little for a long time.

Rob with me in the back totally not ready

That's just one of many things I love about this car. The durability! I can take the power steering system out and the car is like "Sure, no problem."

We were discussing the fact that the LS is one of the most intuitive vehicles to diagnose. Something special about it, too, is that you will get an early sign that something might go wrong. I thought I was lucky but nope, just the way the car is built.

Thank you for reading and thank you Rob!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I Call it Blackhorse - My New Project Car

When I first got this Focus, if you have read the other articles, I hated it. The headlights looked weird and it was making tons of noises. ...