Saturday, November 10, 2018

Cheap Speed: 4th Gen Ford Mustang

Strange things are happening; Ford is going to stop selling all cars except the Mustang (will still sell trucks of course) and they're going to add a four door version. I knew there was a reason I like the older ones better.

I think it's a Bullit GT. Proper picture.

The fourth generation of the Mustang ran from 1994 to 2004. You can now find convertibles, V8s, and even GTs for under $3,000. Just don't get a six cylinder unless you're a mother, please. The fourth generation started with the same motor as the generation before it and upgraded within a few years. Originally, it was a styling change.


This is it. Now, I really hope I got a picture of the good engine cause I can't tell! I don't see distributor wires, nothing. Anyway, pretend that's a V8 if not.

Anyway, so a 2000 Mustang GT can be bought for less than $3,000 like I said and comes with 260 bhp. That's quite a bit for cheap. Keep in mind; the GT only had about 200 bhp before 1999. At that point, it got a bigger head. At the same time, Ford's V6 models started making 190 bhp so they're actually no worse than the older V8s... Hmm... Never knew that.

In 1996, Ford abandoned the small block in the Foxbody Mustangs for a 4.6l SOHC engine they put in the GTs. These made 215 or 225 bhp in latter years. As I mentioned, the Mustang GTs got the biggest boost in 1999. I would look for a 1999 to 2004 Mustang GT with 175k miles or less if I was to buy one. Just saying. And when I say boost, no, there's no turbo version (check out the Foxbody for that).

Loving this interior. Nice and red

I can say from personal experience that some of these things won't die at all. An acquaintence of mine has a 200k+ mile Mustang that has a misfire, the whole side is smashed, oil hasn't been changed in a good 20k miles, and his radiator coolant wasn't water or antifreeze. I would say it was majority rust. Yes, it had not been changed for so long - to this day, I'm sure - that you can not see past half an inch down into the rust-water.

His alternator is going out. But it's been going out for like a year now, sending only 11.4v sometimes.

And he drives it like he's racing it yet the thing keeps going and going. Mustangs aren't really known for reliability but this one sure was. But it was such a piece of dookie. Atleast it was a GT.

I believe this is pre-1999 styling change.

This is a pretty quick car and has a roomy interior if you're talking strictly about the front. You can forget the back. As an adult, I had to kinda sit in the middle with both legs contorted in a weird position. One leg in the driver's side footspace and the other in the opposite side. Yes, the floor in the back has enough space for one adult foot. On each side.

1999+ and someone correct me PLEASE! Google is down...

But I like it. It's a big, rumbly V8 car that happens to be rear wheel drive. They're super cheap right now and I say you should get one. Gas mileage? Who cares? It's $2,000!

Have a great day fellas and gals (Yeah right! A female on this site? Doubtful).

- Rokas Kirvelis

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Call it Blackhorse - My New Project Car

When I first got this Focus, if you have read the other articles, I hated it. The headlights looked weird and it was making tons of noises. ...